Peace on Earth Hunt 10 Hint Evaluations
The Peace on Earth Hunt participants generously created special
gifts to give away to the hunt participants. But some of the hints
created more frustration than fun, which most likely isn't what they
intended. Hunters don't expect easy hints, but
they should be able to solve the hints and find the globes in a few
minutes - there are over 200 participants in the 2017 hunt! And this
isn't the twisted hunt. This page
is intended both to assist
hunters and provide constructive feedback to the store owners. I will
try to avoid spoilers. I am not including links, they can be found on
the official Hints
I used the following criteria for evaluating how useful or frustrating
a hint was:
- Hints are graded from * (worst) to ***** (best). A 5-star rating
is awarded to a hint that is not too easy nor too hard and led me to
the globe within 5 minutes. Some participants clearly just wanted to
give away their gifts, providing super-easy hints, so they get a "Christmas Giver" rather than a
- The hint should refer to a specific item, or at least a small
number of similar items located in reasonably close proximity to each
- At least one element in the hint should refer directly to what
the hunter will be able to find the globe at or near. Reasonably close
synonyms are completely acceptable. Distractors are acceptable and
- Many hunters are not familiar with area search, so the hint
item(s) should be reasonably close to the hint globe so it can be found
without spending a long time searching.
- The globe should be visible when camming around the item(s)
mentioned in the hint, not hidden inside an item not listed in the hint.
Hunt store ratings
- 001 Roawenwood ** - THREE separate gifts were offered by this
generous participant, but the hint was almost meaningless. I thought
the "central island" part was pretty straightforward, but I saw a
number of comments from people who couldn't figure it out. (I thought
it was probably the landing point, and cammed way up to verify that I
was right.) However, the central island is loaded with foliage,
decorations, and signs, and the hunter is given absolutely zero clue as
to where to look for the globes. Even the base ground texture is
complicated and difficult to see a globe against. I did finally find
all 3 gifts but I spent over an hour on it.
- 002 Bittersweet & Strange **** - clever and straightforward
but too easy for 5-star rating
- 003 Image Factory *** - I never figured out what the hint was
supposed to mean and the globe isn't easy to see. I found it basically
by searching the whole store, which took me way too long.
- 004 Slipper Originals *****
- 005 Park Place Home Decor **** - fails the "specific item"
standard, there are poinsettias all over the store
- 006 MOoH! *** - Descriptive hint but large store so it's
difficult to find the specific items the globe is near without using
- 007 White Widow *** - very specific hint but too far away
- 008 Luziefee Design ***** - this would have been too vague in,
say, a landscaping store, but in a clothing store it was helpful.
- 009 True North ***** - it took me more than 5 minutes but it
shouldn't have, the hint met all my criteria!
- 010 Lyrical Bizarre Templates *** - another very generous store
owner. The first 2 hints are straightforward and I didn't see any
comments from people who had trouble finding them. The 3rd is a
contender for the worst hint of the hunt. The only hint element that
isn't a distractor is very loosely related to the item the hunter
needs to find. I gave a couple of people the alternate hint
"Wear this to remain anonymous" and they found
the third globe, although my hint still fails the "small
number of similar items" criterion.
- 011 [CIRCA] Living *** - clever and relevant hint but lost 2
stars for 2 different problems. First, it was quite a distance away
from the hint globe; second, the globe is not easy to see even when you
have found the right hint item. But this store gets a special mention
for coming up with a specific and useful hint that area search doesn't
- 012 Poses with Attitude ** - Too many items that fit the hint,
right item was too far away from the hint globe, and globe is hard to
spot even when you are looking at the right hint item.
- 013 Taox Tattoo ** - This hint sounded specific but wasn't. The
men's area is laid out irregularly so it wasn't just a matter of
walking up and down rows or around rooms. I gave up after 10 minutes.
- 014 StoraxTree "Christmas
- 015 Glitter ***** - Clever, relevant, and a special mention for
confounding area search
- 016 Cleopatra Inc. ***** Another hint that area search doesn't
- 017 Ghee *** - large store, many rooms, globe not close to
hint, many items fitting the hint description but the globe itself is
fairly easy to find once you are in the right area
- 018 Luna Body Art *****
- 019 Prism Designs **** I particularly like hints that require a
little knowledge on the part of the hunter, and this one stumped a lot
of people even though the only criterion that it failed was
distance from the hint globe. (I found it within 5 minutes.) The
secondary hint that I offered to help people was "Think classical, not
modern." Another one that area search wouldn't have helped with!
- 020 Broken Creek Decor *** - straightforward and simple
- 021 Daddy's Choice Design **** - The hint is specific enough
and the globe is easy to see once you are in the right area. It is
close enough to the landing point but the hint globe NOT near the LP so
if you start there, the gift globe isn't close.
- 022 Facepalm Clothing Company **** - takes much longer if you
don't use area search
- 023 Silvan Moon Designs **** - a little too simple
- 024 [kusshon] Furniture & Interior *** - Another large
store, straightforward with area search, would take forever to find
- 025 Chop Zuey Couture Jewelry **** - only lost one star because
there is so much water around as well as in the store. It's an
excellent example of a globe that met all my other criteria and was
still murder to find!
- 026 Little 2 Large *** - too far away, hard to find without
- 027 Secrets of Gaia *****
- 028 Munereia *** men's gift/**** women's gift - both were very
difficult to find even camming around the correct hint item, and there
was more than one item (in a fairly small store) that fit the men's hint
- 029 Drakes *** - too far away, hard to find without area search
- 030 Bella Moda *** - Large stores can be quite a challenge,
both for the store owner and for the hunter. There was an easier way
(not area search) to find the correct area than just walking through
everything like I did, but because there was more than one area that
fit the hint, it still would take a while. (The store owner was kind
enough to put out a globe at the area that did not have the gift,
telling the hunter she was in the wrong spot.) The real globe is in
relatively plain sight, but becausee the areas have so many objects in
them, the globe is still hard to find.
- 031 Enchanted Memories Home & Garden *** - the hint was
quite specific, but if you don't use area search, you will likely get
distracted by the same patch of could-fit-the-hint items I spent an
- 032 ZED Designs for Men *** - fairly simple to find using area
search, would take a long time in this large store to find without area
- 064 Roped Passions ** - numerous items one could rest on were
scattered throughout the large store. I never found the globe.